Intro

INTRODUCTION


Hi there!

I'm John, from Philippines. I'm a knife enthusiast, a knife lover and a knife collector. Well, sort of, I do own few knives like pocket knives, multi-tool with a knife, a hunting knife and a machete. Of course just like you, I do love collecting knives, but there's always a big concern when we're talking about knife collection. Yup! I heard you right, budget! Knives nowadays do cost a lot, and I do a mean a lot, specially the so called BRANDED, ones with the SUPER STEEL! Is it really worth buying those knives? Is it really worth having them in your collection? Well for some wealthy gentlemen out there who don't have financial struggles, I would say "collect them all!" but for the rest who can't afford it, it's big NO, for some other reasons and concerns, we can't afford the luxury of spending too much for our collection because we need to spend it on more important things.


   
Here are the knives that I've purchased on line and from other stores: ( Disclaimer : The images you will see below are not mine, I got it from Google. )


This image is not mine, but my machete is pretty beaten up. I've purchased it from Tacticalasia.com.ph  for 30 USD + 3 USD shipping. I did use it often when I go farming. The coating on this blade is not as durable as I thought, it did lasted longer than expected. I did strip the coating off, to make it look like it has a satin finish. I do have problem with the edge retention. After taking it to hard use on the field, you need to resharpen for another task. It is a scary knife, 12 inch blade + 5 inches handle, 17 inches overall. I do think it's great for camping. I did baton this knife and it did not break. I do recommend, if you buy this machete to never strip off the coating like I did because the steel they use on it rust pretty easily. As they say, " take care of this knife and it will take care of you."
                                                   

This is the Buck Alpha Hunter, 440hc stainless steel blade. I purchased it on ebay.ph from an online store copperandclad in the US. I can't remember how much I did pay for this. I think it cost me approximately 80+ USD including shipping fee. The knife alone cost me around 40 to 50 USD. The most expensive knife I've purchased so far. The knife came razor sharp out of the box. I did test it. It chipped a little. How ironic. It was brand new when I got it. The handle had some issues with me, it does create a pain spot not just hot spot. The blade's tang, as we can see on the image, is sticking out, it creates discomfort for me when using it. I think the design is flawed.The rubber handle should cover all of the tang. It would be a better knife to use. What really drawn me to buying this knife is the blade profile. I love the blade geometry on this one. The Buck brand is one the best in the business with their hunting knives. If  I can save for another buck knife, I'll go for the Omni hunter.  


This is the Victorinox forester. I used it as my edc. I purchased it on National Bookstore for about 30 USD. It is Swiss made. I think it is also 440hc stainless. Guess what, I did used it and tested it and then I found a small chip on the blade. All I did was making feather stick. I also found it hard to clean cause a lot dirt could get inside this tool. I don't want to disassemble it. The handle is pretty much made of hard plastic.






Finally, the cheapest knife on my arsenal. I forgot the brand, it is a hawk bill style blade commonly known as the electrician utility knife. It cost me about 5 USD from a grocery store. It has a lock back system on it. I've seen other people used it as a grafting knife. I did cutting test, found it dull on some parts of the blade. I was remorseful that i gave it away. It was easy to let go of it because of the price. I should have kept it for edc.



I will try to upload photos of my knives for your reference and to let you know of their condition as a result of regular use. Feel free to post your comments and please make suggestions on how to maintain these blades properly to make it last longer.

Stay sharp and safe everyone!

                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gerber De Facto Clone

Fact Check: Steels used on AliExpress Knives and other Blade Steels

Part 2.1: Best Buy Budget Knives Online