Part 1: My Knives

Hello!

Once again, I will be sharing some thoughts for purchase for knives that you might find interesting. And in this part, I will be uploading photos from knives that I've used so far. Hope they will give you an idea on how they performed. Also I would give you my unbiased assessment so far with the items I have. For now, I only have three knives in my position. I have a Cold Steel 12 inch Bowie Machete, a hunting knife Buck Alpha hunter and a Victorinox Forester as my edc.

In case you were wondering, the camera that I used to take photos is the Canon IXY 12.1 Megapixel Titanium, I bought it from Japan about 7 years ago. It is still working and in good condition.


MY KNIVES


In the previous post, I did mentioned about how beaten up my machete was. Well as you can see in the photo to the left, it is pretty used and rusted. I've cleaned it after using and lubricated it, rust stains still appears. I made a mistake stripping off the coating though at that time it was stripping off because of hard use. The sheath is still ok although I think it is not durable. It is a bad sheath it keeps moisture in which pretty much helps in the formation of rust. It does keep the blade pretty secure when you holster it on your waist thru a belt. It also absorbs water, you need to keep it really dry before putting your knife in. Well, this dilemma is entirely my fault. I do hope Cold Steel will make this knife in AUS-8 stainless steel that would be very lovely. I do love the Big Bowie Knife profile on this one. It reminds me of the scary confederate old Bowie knives.



This is my Buck Alpha hunter, made in the U.S.A. I do believe it is made in America. You can see and feel the quality when you hold this knife. It is razor sharp up to this day. I never did any sharpening to it cause I might scratch it more. I did mention previously that I had tested it. I did cutting test, slashing test on branches, stabbing test on card boards, light batoning on small piece of wood and I did feather sticks. I also mentioned it chipped or nicked a little. Well, see for yourself below.
The photo is kind of blurry on the edge, you can see chips or nicks right? Hmm, again this dilemma is because of me. Maybe it is because I've watched too much knife reviews on Youtube that I've completely disregarded how my knives would end up. Unfortunately for me I made this to my knives.









This is my Victorinox Forester, it is my edc. It has a 3 inch blade as per my measurement. I did used it ruggedly and also performed test on it like stabbing test, slashing on braches and making feather sticks. As I mentioned before, I did chipped it, not only the knife but also the tools on this one. Luckily, my toothpick and tweezers are still there. The edge on this one came razor sharp too, and it is up to this day. Like the Buck Alpha hunter, I was not able to resharpen its edge. I don't want to cause more scratches on its blade. I'm definitely not an expert on sharpening this type of knives.




ACTUAL PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD  -  PRICE POINT - RECOMMENDATIONS

Based on my performance report, as far as I have used this knives, I do hope that I have drawn out some useful insights for your preference in your future purchase on this items. I had encountered rusting issues, the inability to hold longer cutting edge, the sheaths were poorly produced and nicks or chips.The price point on this knives are more on the affordable prices or budget friendly side considering other knives in competition, I would say these are entry level knives as per the price. 

I do recommend this knives for purchase. These knives are made by known  companies but they were meant to budget friendly. The steels used for these knives were on the budget too so we should bare in mind to be more careful in using it. For example, the Buck knife was meant to be for skinning or field dressing not for batoning. Likewise for the Victorinox Forester, it was meant to do light task unlike what I did. The rust issues would have been avoided if I did not forcibly stripped off the coating. In short, at this entry level knife, we can't expect them to perform with supersteels and so far  I have used it roughly, these knives surprisingly did not break with the abuse I've put it through. If we do purchase knives, we also need to take care of it and be sure we do it right. We should know their limits and specific purposes. And hopefully, for myself, I would learn how to properly maintain these blades or even restore the edge by doing the proper way of resharpening with the right sharpening tool.

PLEASE do leave comments, suggestions or recommendations as per your own experience about purchase and care for knives. Do you think these knives made it to the cut for BUDGET KNIVES?

Stay sharp and safe everyone!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gerber De Facto Clone

Fact Check: Steels used on AliExpress Knives and other Blade Steels

Part 2.1: Best Buy Budget Knives Online